Saturday, July 04, 2009

Girly Things!


There is a club I've always wanted to be a part of, but I had been left out. Forgotten. The Mother-of-a-Girl Club. I wanted a daughter so badly! It all looked like so much fun. But I was destined to press my nose against the window and stare in, longingly. An outsider. Banished to the land of pirates, dinosaurs, Nascar, NBA, and still-up toilet seats.

But then you arrived! Oh, Joy! What love fills my heart. What a feeling of sweetness. I belong to the club now. And here are a few of the things I've always wished for, that now I can do, all because you are here:

Pillowcase dresses
Ballet classes
Tea parties
Hair brushing
Decorating with flowers
Butterfly wings
Princess stories

My mind is racing with happy daydreams of arts and crafts I'll do with you one day, Kate. I can't wait to cuddle up with you and talk long into the night about boys and relationships and Jesus and what's important. I can't wait to just sit back and appreciate how God created girls so different from boys. So soft, so tender, so pink.

Having you in my life has helped me remember all the fun things I did with my mom when I was a child. Things like dancing in the living room until we fell over with laughter. Making holiday meals special by putting the same decorations out year after year (Remember those Jack-O-Lantern placemats, Mom?). My mom used to let me lie on her lap and she'd play with my hair. It felt so good and so safe. I can't wait to do that for you, Kate.

The only word I can think of to describe how I feel now that you are a part of my life is FULL. My heart is full to the top with joy, love, tenderness, loyalty, and yes, a little trepidation. But that's a whole other topic for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leaving a comment? Why, thank you! I'm flattered!