Give one thing more--a grateful heart;
Not thankful when it pleases me,
As if Thy blessings had spare days;
But such a heart, whose pulse may be
Thy praise."--George Herbert
"Make thankfulness your sacrifice to God...
giving thanks is a sacrifice that truly honors me. "
~Ps. 50:14, 23
Today I begin a list of one thousand gifts I am thankful for. My goal is to notice God's love for me in the everyday things. He is everywhere and in everything. He has given each breath and every single thing that fills my days. If there is anything, anything at all, that is good in my life it is because of His love for me, and I desire to turn back every blessing to praise.
I know the first dozen or so gifts will be obvious and common to many people who know Him, but as this list gets longer you will start to see the unique things He has painted into the masterpiece of my life. And I will have to take a closer look at my life to find the hidden ways He wraps me in love. I can't wait. For
"The language of God
is life itself
and I live with the unquenchable need
to take my life in my hands
and try to read the divine alphabet written upon it."
~Sue Monk Kidd
This is one of the ways I am attempting to gain intimacy with God. Awaking to His presence in the everyday. Perhaps some of you would like to start a Thousand Gifts list as well. How long do you think this will take? Well, let's begin:
1. The mystery of Christ on the cross, taking my sinfulness and giving His righteousness, allowing me access to the holy Father
2. the indwelling of the Holy Spirit...He lives in me
3. the hope I have that heaven awaits
4. His Word, the Bible, and for the printing press and the ability to read
5. loving parents who only wanted my good and never abused me as a child
6. parents who taught me about Jesus and God's love for me
7. nice homes, plenty of food, clothing and friends as a child
8. a good, if scattered, education
9. protection from abuse, accidents, and loss of loved ones in childhood
10. my twenty year history with best friend Angel
11. the ability to sing
12. parents that instilled a sense of right and wrong
13. protection from drugs, alcohol, and promiscuous relationships as a teen
14. all those dance lessons
15. My "falling in love" time with Ben... those were magical, sweet days
16. the pregnancy we lost... brought such perspective
17. that all three of my following pregnancies were normal, and all deliveries healthy, and all recoveries quick (this should count as one hundred thanks!)
18. for Benjamin Baker
19. for Noah Daniel
20. for Jacob Michael
more to come...