Friday, July 07, 2006

On the Road

Well, we have had quite a week. On Saturday morning we left early for Lexington, KY. It is 600 miles there, which should take us about 10 hours, but with our little ones in the van it ended up taking nearly 14! But the drive was so beautiful, I really enjoyed every hour. We drove all the way through South Carolina, then North Carolina, Tennessee, and Kentucky. The mountains, rivers, rolling hills, countryside and woodlands were simple and striking. They made me long for the country life. I used to think I would never really be happy away from the coast, but I’m beginning to think I could. Hmmm… I don’t know.
So anyway we stayed with Ben’s brother and his family for the 4th of July week and had a very good time. They have two boys, ages 4 and 10 months, and with our 5, 3, and 1 year old boys there was quite a lot of interesting happenings in the house. It was awesome how 5 boys from the same family could all be so different. Each one has these incredible qualities that make you fall in love with them, and then they each are difficult in their own ways too. And then they all interact with each other. And I’m like, ok, this is it. I have to be their parent. I have to love each one in the way they respond best to, discipline them in the same way, and teach them godly ways to treat each other. It can be overwhelming. I’m glad I have God to help me! I’m glad I have a husband who is my partner in this parenting journey!
When we left Kentucky, we went to Birmingham to close on our house there. Yay! It’s officially sold! That took a year. We stayed at a friend’s house last night and their little pug demon dog bit my foot. It actually bit me! It’s my first official dog bite, and it really hurts! One tooth went in the top of my big toe by the knuckle, and the other tooth punctured the middle toe by the nail. I’m very cross about it. I hate little dogs.
We are now headed back home to Savannah. Noah got a little homesick on this trip, but all in all our boys did very well with all the hours in the car, and all the strange places to sleep, and all the missed naps. I am ready to go home and get my kids back on their routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leaving a comment? Why, thank you! I'm flattered!